Thursday 29 March 2012

To move or not to move?

That is the question! I have to admit I'm on the fence in this debate. It was first hinted at a few years ago before the Davids even took over and honestly, my first reaction was positive. When you hear a rumour that we're moving to a 60,000 seater Olympic Stadium only a couple of miles away, it sounds good.

Then when it was finished and Sky Sports News posted pictures of the completed stadium online, you could see how awful the view was. It's an amazing stadium, it really is but I get the feeling that Barry Hearn is right; it just isn't fit for football (even if he's only saying it out of bitterness).

Then, earlier in the season I watched an episode of Late Kick Off on a Monday night and David Gold promised that we would only move there if retractable seating over the running track was an option during the football season. While this doesn't move the furthest seats any closer to the pitch it does ensure that, when sold out, the atmosphere would be electric on matchday. Could you imagine around 56,000 passionate hammers fans singing bubbles before and even throughout the game? That is an atmosphere I would love to be a part of.

Would season ticket sales be a problem? Many current season ticket holders are against the move but would they renew in 2014 if we moved to the Olympic Stadium? Would it attract more season ticket holders? I hope so, because although I would much rather redevelop the chicken run and turn The Boleyn into a 50,000 capacity stadium, I will always support West Ham no matter what as we all will, Olympic Stadium or not.

Let me know where you stand on the proposed OS move!

COME ON YOU IRONS!

No comments:

Post a Comment